Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Pomeranian Smile

I have a new direction! Something I could not have imagined .... son B called me from London. Would I edit something for him for his new website? Of course I could - and did. Would I like to be an official employee?

So here this morning I have been translating convoluted business language into plain English, and sketching out a plain skeleton of language people can understand. I feel so great. To be useful. Son B needs this editorial clarity. He is very clever but finds plain solid writing difficult, as do, he says, many of his contemporaries. Their brains are mightier than their pens.

And I am thrilled.

What an addition to our lives, computers. Emails. Working from a distance. Instant communication. Miracles.

My dog Bella sighs, however. She lies on one side of me, Puck the tabby on the other. I suppose one should never worry about a sleeping pet; their brains are in neutral, it must be soothing. As long as they have company - I think. Bella on her own reverts to simply being a small dog. On her own she will rifle the bin in the kitchen and eat what's in it; with me, she is constantly expressive, cheerful, observant and on guard. She will bark at any untoward noise and bristle with indignation although she is quite small. She would defend me to the last, she has a job to do.

She understands my comings and goings, she takes note of what I am wearing. Bowls clothing mean a possible outing as she frequently comes with me to my own club; but she waits to see, as sometimes she is not allowed. Somehow she has rationalised why this is. Touching my handbag means we are ready, we are going out - but will she be alowed to come? She waits politely to be called.

She is half Pomeranian and has that Pom smile, baring little white teeth. My homecoming always brings a radiant smile, as sometimes she smiles if she mislays me. She will not come out with me to the garden if I am to water the flowerbeds. She has never been sprayed by a hosepipe but worries that she might be. When I come indoors she smiles, embarrassed, relieved.

She is a strawberry blonde with large dark eyes. I have had her coat shaved except for her pantaloons and she is cute and neat. She has an expressive face, a sweet and gentle nature, she is full of love. Her many friends at bowls are smitten. She behaves impeccably, lying quietly while we play, never venturing on to the green. Occasionally she trots right round the end if I am there, then goes back to where we have our bags and lies down. I frequently catch her eye when I am playing, I feel as if she is watching the game. Bella constantly amuses me.

No comments: